Don’t Drink and Drive OR Drink but Don’t Drive.
However you choose to say it, the message is still the same―driving while drunk or under the influence, can have deadly consequences.
Despite all of the research and messaging from organizations like Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), many people don’t adequately prepare for a holiday weekend filled with friends, family, bar-b-ques , fireworks and of course alcohol.
Spending time with friends and family at a Bar-B-Q, along with a couple burgers and cold beers is the perfect way to celebrate Independence Day in the Denver Metro area. The combination of all-day parties until the fireworks go off at night, combined with a lot of alcohol is the perfect set-up leading up to a car accident involving a drunk driver. Even if you choose to not drink, and maybe you even volunteered to be the designated driver, you may still be at risk to be involved in a car crash caused by someone who chose to drive while drunk.
In 2012, according to NHTSA, 10,322 people were killed in crashes caused by drunk drivers, with 179 of those deaths just on the Fourth of July. That’s nearly 6 times the daily average. Additionally, the level of impairment in drivers on Independence Day is nearly two and a half times greater at night than during daylight.
NHTSA offers the following recommendations to stay safe as you celebrate this Fourth of July holiday.
- Plan a safe way to get home before the fun begins
- Before drinking, designate a sober driver
- If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation so you can get home safely
- Use your community sober ride program;
- If you see a drunk driver on the road, don’t hesitate to contact law enforcement;
- If you see people about to drive drunk, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to their destination safely;
- Your best defense against a drunk driver is a seat belt. Always buckle up.
Let’s make this year the safest Independence Day yet!
If you’ve been injured by a drunk driver, contact The Bendinelli Law Firm’s experienced and compassionate drunk driver car accident attorneys today for a free and confidential consultation.
photo credit: <a href=”https://www.flickr.com/photos/vikis/625959943/”>vikisuzan</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/”>cc</a>