Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Denver, Westminster and Fort Collins
With the breath-taking Colorado scenery and mostly cooperative weather, motorcycles are more popular than ever as a mode of transportation. Motorcycles are so prevalent on Colorado roadways for these simple reasons; they are easy and economical to maintain and they are more fuel-efficient than cars, trucks and SUVs. And most importantly—they’re fun!
How Many People are Injured in Motorcycle Crashes?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 5,286 people are killed in motorcycle accidents in 2016. That’s the most motorcyle deaths since 2008. There’s another 50,000 people being injured. Unfortunately, motorcyclists are about 16 times more likely to die and three times more likely to be injured than those in cars. At The Bendinelli Law Firm, we can offer you expert motorcycle accident lawyers who have the legal knowledge and experience to help you fight for compensation for your injuries, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Most Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
The leading cause of death and injuries in motorcycle crashes is head injury. Due to the lack of physical protection the bike offers, motorcyclists are especially vulnerable to traumatic brain injuries (TBI). Because motorcyclists are usually thrown from their motorcycles, other physical damages can include “road rash”, broken bones, neck and back injuries, internal injuries, and even death.
What are Some Factors that Lead to Motorcycle Accidents?
There can be many causes of motorcycle accidents; some being the fault of the motorcyclist. However, at times, motorcyclists are injured or even killed due to no fault of their own. It is crucial to be aware of the risks associated with riding a motorcycle. Being aware of the common causes may help you or someone you know avoid being involved in a motorcycle crash.
Below is a list of some of the most common factors that contribute to a motorcycle crash:
- Visibility to the cars around them. Most motorcycle crashes happen at intersections,where it is more difficult for the driver of a car to see the motorcycle. According to the Hurt Report, two-thirds of motorcycle-car crashes occurred when the car driver failed to see the approaching motorcycle and intruded into the rider’s right-of-way.
- Alcohol. The intoxication of either the motorcyclist or the driver of the car is a very common factor in motorcycle crashes.
- Failure to wear proper clothing and protection. The Hurt Report also provided data clearly showing that helmets significantly reduce the risk of brain injury and death.
- An inexperienced rider who tends to over-brake or speed. According to recent statistics, drivers of sport model motorcycles, which can sometimes reach up to 190 MPH, have a death rate four times higher than other types of motorcycles. If a motorcyclist drives at a high speed that surpasses the speed limit, he/she can lose control of their vehicles within seconds, resulting in devastating injuries or even death.
- Unfamiliarity with the motorcycle and its limitations, which can result in loss of control, leading to an accident.
- Other external factors include motorcycle failure, defective equipment, flat tires, potholes, animals, weather conditions, defective roadway signs and the recklessness and negligence of other drivers.
How to Stay Safe as a Motorcyclist
There are a fair number of motorcycles on the roadways throughout Colorado, and in warmer months, motorcycles are even more prevalent. Riders who wear a helmet reduce their risk of fatal injury by 29% and the risk of traumatic brain injury by 67%. Motorcycles provide very little protection in a crash since they have no roof, are lightweight, and do not have seat belts or airbags. These factors, among others, can result in complicated legal issues in a motorcycle injury claim.
What is the Motorcycle Law in Colorado?
Colorado Law states that motorcycles are legal vehicles, and riders have the same rights and responsibilities as other drivers. According to Colorado Revised Statue 42-4-1503:
“All motorcycles are entitled to full use of a traffic lane, and no motor vehicle shall be driven in such a manner as to deprive any motorcycle of the full use of a traffic lane. Every person operating a motorcycle shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle under this article, except as to special regulations in this article and except as to those provisions of this article which by their nature can have no application.”
Many victims of a motorcycle crash will be faced with the popular misconception that an accident between a motorcycle and another motor vehicle was caused by the mistake of a reckless or inexperienced motorcyclist. Since medical costs and liability are the critical focus of a motorcycle injury case, an experienced motorcycle accident attorney who understands the complexity of motorcycle crash cases will be crucial in filing your claim. That’s where we come in.
Denver Motorcycle Accident Attorney
The Denver motorcycle accident attorneys at our firm can put together a powerful case for injured motorcyclists from any part of Colorado. The Bendinelli Law Firm, P.C. has the knowledge and experience to thoroughly evaluate your case. By investigating your accident, interviewing witnesses and healthcare providers, determining road conditions, and investigation other contributing factor, our motorcycle lawyers will make sure you get the compensation you need for your recovery. Colorado has motorcycle laws in place to prevent accidents and protect motorcyclists. At The Bendinelli Law Firm, we have a meticulous understanding of the laws passed to protect motorcyclists. We have an experienced, qualified staff and we are ready to fight for your rights.
This is what we tell our clients; “We want you to concentrate on the important things like getting healthy and returning to your day-to-day life, while our attorneys take care of the complicated legal issues and deal with the insurance company. In short, we will work hard to protect your interests and get you the compensation and restitution you deserve for your injuries.”
Motorcycle Accident Attorney Denver
Contact The Bendinelli Law Firm for a confidential and free initial consultation by dialing (720) 457-6833 or 1-800-ATTORNEY.